Nov 23, 2011

Vintage Desk Organizer

Hi everyone!! Natasha here to share a desk organizer I created for my craft studio. I ADORE the Antiquities Collection by Donna Salazar Designs, so most of the pieces I have created for my studio have been made with this collection.

The dividers of the desk organizer and the drawers were covered with gorgeous papers from this collection. I added vintage lace to further decorate my organizer. After adhering the papers to my project, I dry-brushed white acrylic paint onto the surface and misted it with a variety of inks. Then I inked all of the edges with Truffle Mix'd Media Inx.

I created the large, hand-made flower using the Rose Creations dies by Spellbinders. You can find a tutorial for this flower HERE. The leaves are manufactured by The Dusty Attic. This chipboard element was dry embossed to add texture to the leaves.

This Wrought Iron Trim Set was painted and inked to give it an aged look. I adhered the chipboard element with a spray adhesive to avoid glue from seeping out from under.

Each of the smaller drawers is decorated with an inspirational word and my favorite embellie... eyelets! I love the look of metal embellishments on any project.

The sides of the desk organizer were decorated in a slightly different manner. I covered the surface of the sides with printed tissue paper, making sure to leave creases and wrinkles in the paper. Then I added a coat of gesso for added texture and a layer of Glass Bead Gel. The entire surface was then misted and the edges inked.

Here is a view of one of the sides of the desk organizer.


This is a closer view of the Glass Beads Gel. I love the beautiful texture this adds to my project!

The back of the organizer was altered in a similar manner. Only instead of adding Glass Beads Gel, I used Ceramic Stucco to give the surface more texture.

Before I go, I'd like to show you how I organize my layouts now. I used to keep my layouts in large stackable boxes, but I quickly ran out of space for those boxes. I also realized that the boxes made it difficult for my baby girl (my aspring scrapbook artist) to view my layouts (something she LOVES to do). So I decided to hang my work on Clip It Up Swinging Wall Arms instead.

My studio has many nooks and crannies because the ceilings are angled. So this solution works perfectly for me! Plus, each Swinging Wall Arm holds numerous layouts! This is such a beautiful and organized way to display my work without adding clutter to my studio. (Now I just need about 10 more Swinging Wall Arms to hold the rest of my layouts LOL!)

Thank you for stopping by today. Have a beautiful and creative day! See you next week!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning desk organizer! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the layout and this is an awesome idea for the swinging wall arm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and vintage - just what I love!!!! Great job on the desk organizer! I love all the different techniques you used.
    I love the Swinging Wall Arm - one of my favorites because you can use it so many different ways!!!!
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...