Fabric flowers are all the rage these days, but man are they ever spendy!
So I thought I would try my hand at making some.
I went to JoAnn's and picked up a bunch of fabric.
I got 1/4 yard each of 7 different kinds.
I wanted to try muslin first because it's such a rich, versatile fabric and I see it used in lots of different ways - not just flowers.
This pink tulle with sparkles was the best value - it was only 90-cents for my 1/4 yard. It's a little messy because the sparklies end up here and there, but it sure is pretty!
I'm not an expert on fabric but this is some sort of sheer something er other with teeny rhinestones on it. I actually picked this one up in several colors.
I cut a strip of each and the way I figured this is that my most expensive fabric was $2.50 for the 1/4 yard - and that was a regular price, not a sale price so it certainly is good to watch for sales and use coupons especially at JoAnn's. And I could get 14 strips out of each. So even if each 1/4 yard only makes 14 flowers, that's still only 18-cents per flower and compared to things you see at the stores and even on ETSY, making these yourself is definitely the cheapest way to go. Not the easiest - LOL - but definitely the cheapest.
I used my circle Nesties to cut circles out of the muslin.
My plan was to fold it in to 3 squares and run through the Big Shot. It was not easy. Took about 6 cranks to get ONE. So I popped that one out and it was much easier to do the 2 than the 3.
Fun little muslin circles.
And since we're making flowers, gotta use the flower Nesties!
Because this fabric is so thin, this one ran through and made 3 like a breeze.
However, my thinner fabrics stuck together so instead of 3 flowers, I got one, dark heavier one which was fine. The colors are so light that putting them together in to one whole flower probably is best.
Now it's time to get a card made with my new pretties.
I'm using many different ribbons and trims these days. Buying a lot from Practicing Creativity Designs, ThisGoodDay and MemrieMare. Having my Clip it Up! ribbon organizer to house my spools in the well across the top and hang other pretty stuff that I want to make sure gets used definitely gives me more options when I am making a card. Out-of-sight out-of-mind is no longer an issue.
Here's my creative little mess making one of my cards with my newly made muslin flowers. I think next time I'll use the smaller Nestie - this one had a lot of open space on it so I punched a paper circle and then topped that with buttons.
And here are my finished products. Pretty simple cards for me - I think after making the flowers and going right in to making a card, I was a little low on the mojo. So I think what I'll do next is make some flowers and put them in my stash for next time and then have them to reach for when I need 'em.
Thanks for stopping by the Simply Renee blog today.
More me can be found on my blog.